[UPDATE: Our winner is Nam D. with his story of Weezer-hiding sneakery!]
The Music Record Shop in Kirkwood enjoyed our 2013 Mid-Year lists so much, they decided to donate the Top 10 national releases to KDHX from their giant collection. And we thought that was pretty cool, and that it would make a pretty awesome prize for you vinyl enthusisasts out there. And, hey, most of these include a digital download card as well, for the needle-impaired. They include:
1. Son Volt - Honky Tonk
2. Veronica Falls - Waiting for Something to Happen
3. Richard Thompson - Electric
4. Villagers - Awayland
5. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Specter At the Feast
6. Mount Moriah - Miracle Temple
7. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories
8. The Black Angels - Indigo Meadow
9. !!! - Thriller
10. Big Boi - Vicious Lies & Dangerous Rumors
So, how do you win all 10 of these records? In the comments section, we're looking for the best story about the first album you ever owned -- be it record, cassette, CD or even (gasp) digital album purchase.
Maybe it was something embarrassing, or maybe it changed your life. Maybe it was a special birthday present, or maybe you saved every penny to buy it. Just give us a funny or interesting story about the first album you ever owned, and you'll be in the running!
The first album I ever owned was a CD. It was ... the Aladdin Soundtrack. I listened to it every night as I laid in bed with my blue lava lamp lighting the room a cool, Robin Williams Genie-blue. It played softly from a three-disc CD changer I earned by working in a corn field over the summer, and purchased at Sam's Club for $300 -- my entire summer's earnings. I am not proud of this, but it's funny to think about now. The other two CDs in the changer were The Mask soundtrack and the Forrest Gump Soundtrack (Disc 1). I don't know what my deal was with soundtracks, but I fully expect to be beaten up by bullies when they read this. If it's any consolation, the fourth album I owned was a Nine Inch Nails record? It was from BMG Music Club, but whatever. That's pretty hardcore. Doesn't change the fact that I still know all the words to A Whole New World, but whatever. Tiny victories. Now head to the comments how to write a personal essay section and give us your best!
THE SIMPLE RULES
1. One entry per person, please.
2. This contest runs from Wednesday, September 18 to Monday, September 23 at 3 p.m. CST
3. PLEASE give us some way to contact you in the Disqus comments field. Can't say this enough. There are a few easy ways to do this. You can click "Login" to Disqus near the comment field and login via any of the options (Facebook, Google, etc.). Alternately, leave your email address in your comment in an "Joe Blow AT email.com" format if you'd like (to avoid evil spam crawling internet bots).
4. Have fun!