All Aboard for Fun Times: St. Louis show highlights for 3/9-3/11
Here’s a weekend plus edition — the plus covering a big festival that runs through Monday.
Saturday March, 9
It’s the second night of South by South City (aka SXSCity) – a local fest doing a small-scale riff on Austin’s South by Southwest mega-one – at Off Broadway (3509 Lemp).
The shows are a bargain at $5/night (3 more for 20-under, all-ages). Smoke-free.
Tonight’s lineup (with a 7:00 door):
- a blend of country, folk and bluegrass from the Hobosexuals at 7:30,
- unknown sounds from the still-not-seen-by-me Last To Show First To Go at 8:25,
- rock with ’60s pop influences from Jedi Nighties at 9:20,
- wicked, whipped up funk from The Jungle Fire at 10:15,
- a mix of soul, blues and funk from Superhero Killer at 11:10.
- a raucous rockabilly/blues/rock stew from Columbia, MO’s Hooten Hallers at 12:05.
The Gramophone (4243 Manchester) hosts a show offering roots-y solo sets by Johnny Hickman (of Cracker) and Ed Anderson (of Backyard Tire Fire).
Door at 8/show at 9, with a $10 advance/13 door cover (21+ only). Smoke-free.
Miss Jubilee and the Humdingers
Schlafly Bottleworks 7260 Southwest 9 start Free (all ages – minors only with an adult) Smoke-free
High-energy swing/rockabilly/jump-blues sounds from Miss Jubilee.
The late show at Mangia Italiano (3145 S. Grand) is supposed to be catchy pop-rockers FIREDOG, but I can’t confirm this anywhere but on the KDHX calendar. I assume there are other acts, but like I said…
This starts after 11 and is free (21+ only) and smoke-free.
Sunday, March 10
Night 3 of South by South City at Off Broadway.
Tonight’s lineup (with a 6:30 door):
- country and twangy folk from Jack Grelle & The Johnson Family at 7:15.
- smooth soul from Ransom Note at 8:10.
- smart, Crowded House-esque pop-rock from Brotherfather at 9:05.
- I couldn’t find any music online for Lewis Dubbs and The Missouri Flyguys, who play at 10:15.
- gritty, passionate rock from Bob Reuter’s Alley Ghost at 11:10.
Reggae/ska riddems abound at Old Rock House (1200 S. 7th), courtesy of LA’s The Aggrolites, Cincy’s The Pinstripes and Unifyah.
Doors at 7/show at 8, with a $15 cover (all-ages). Smoke-free.
Blank Space (2847 Cherokee) hosts a show by Chicago’s Summer Girlfriends, who mix a bunch of old-school rock styles with punk and pop sounds.
The punk-ish rock of Bruiser Queen - and possibly another act TBA – provide support.
This starts at 9, with a $5 cover (21+ only). Smoke-free.
Monday, March 11
The festival proper wrapped up Sunday, but an after-party for South by South City at Off Broadway offers raw duo blues-rock from The Maness Brothers, rockabilly sounds from The Bible Belt Sinners and blues-/country-tinged rock from Carriage House.
Door at 8:30/show at 9, with a $5 cover (3 more for 20-under, all-ages).
Your humble servant,