88.1 KDHX is in the middle of their 2013 Fall Membership Drive. Suffice it to say that I love everything about KDHX. I feel like the hundreds of volunteers and the dedicated KDHX staff are doing this for the right reasons. It should be celebrated that St. Louis is home to such a fine radio station. It should also be supported and this is where we all come into play. Please call (314) 664-3688 or go on-line to www.kdhx.org if you are in a position where you can help this crazy experiment not just remain stable but to thrive and become even better. Memphis to Manchester will be airing from 7-10 AM on Thursday and I truly hope to do my part to really help make this pledge drive a success. Whether it be my show or the show of any of our other impassioned DJs, please support your independent community radio station.
A couple of pledge drives ago, I made a top 10 list (you know DJs love lists) of reasons to support KDHX. Every one of those reasons hold true because the goals and ideals of KDHX hold true. At the risk of repeating myself, here goes:
1) If you appreciate the fact you are hearing music programmed entirely by people who live in your community and that passion and love of the music guides the programming, not predetermined playlists from some outside entity designed to sell product, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
2) If you believe a vibrant local music scene and healthy club/concert venue scene benefits from having a station that showcases local talent and touring bands coming through St. Louis and the surrounding environs, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
3) If you believe that a radio station should never take its listening audience for granted and appreciates the knowledge and passion of its listeners, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
4) If you have ever became aware of an artist by listening to KDHX and that artist ended up meaning a whole lot to you, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
5) If you are in a local band and have ever had your music played by KDHX, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
6) If you have ever attended & enjoyed shows brought to you by or put together by KDHX such as the Harvest Music Sessions, Twangfest, Midwest Mayhem, Thursdays at the Intersection, etc., you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
7) If you value the concert & album reviews, live and archived streaming of all our radio programs, podcasts from our talk programming, exclusive live performances of bands performing at the Magnolia studio of KDHX, the continually updated KDHX blog, arts & events calendars and more on our kdhx.org website, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
8) If you enjoy the short-form programming you hear on-air such as the film & theater reviews, the concert & events calendars, the Worms Eye environmental calendar, and the Local Artist Spotlight - all painstakingly & lovingly put together by volunteers, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
9) If you think online music aggregators have a place but can't reflect the needs of a community, showcase local artists, highlight touring artists coming through town, present and organize local events, or make people aware of all the arts & events happening in and around St. Louis the way an independent & community station can, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
10) If you have ever visited another city and lamented the fact that they didn't have a radio station like ours, you might want to consider pledging to KDHX.
Thanks for reading.