1. Leatherface - The Stormy Petrel - No Idea
2. Konono No. 1 - Assume Crash Position - Crammed
3. Rasputina - Sister Kinderhook - Filthy Bonnet Co.
4. Retribution Gospel Choir - Retribution Gospel Choir 2 - Sub Pop
5. Grinderman - Grinderman 2 - Anti-
6. Bottomless Pit - Blood Under The Bridge - Self-released
7. Cassie Morgan and The Lonely Pine - Weathered Hands, Weary Eyes - Self-released
8. Bassekou Kouyate & Ngoni ba - I Speak Fula - out | here
9. Frog Eyes - Paul's Tomb: A Triumph - Dead Oceans
10. Jon Langford And Skull Orchard - Old Devils - Bloodshot
That's my somewhat arbitrary list for the year, which of course doesn't include any of the records I didn't yet get a proper chance to hear. There were many others which were considerably good, some of which I'll rattle off here: Kaki King, Gil Scott-Heron, Gogol Bordello, Gotan Project, Quasi, Jucifer, Deer Tick, Dr. Dog, Valient Thorr, Mikal Shapiro, River City Extension, The Dreamers featuring Marc Ribot, Masada String Trio, Vijay Iyer, M.I.A., Mountain Man, Danbert Nobacon, a triple album by Joanna Newsom, and some noteworthy local releases by Beth Bombara, Pretty Little Empire and Theodore, among others. My own band, The May Day Orchestra, also released a CD and LP this year which I think was a nice recording. For modesty's sake, it's not included either. E-mail mystery at kdhx dot org for any recommendations or with any questions. Happy holidays and happy listening.