KDHX DJ Expectations
KDHX DJ Overview
KDHX is a nonprofit media organization celebrating independent music, art, and culture in St. Louis and around the world since 1987. KDHX’s mission is to build community through media and KDHX uses the power of music and education to engage and unite individuals and communities. KDHX DJs are integral to advancing the mission of KDHX.
KDHX is in the process of implementing its 2021-2024 Strategic Plan and learning more and more about how to adapt and grow as we apply our values of stewardship, independence, partnership, integrity, discovery, passion, and joy to engage community and expand audience, to build anti-racist capacity, and to increase financial stewardship and management.
As DJs of KDHX, we are particularly focused on…
- Being Ambassadors for KDHX by reflecting the values of KDHX.
- Being a positive force in the KDHX and broader community.
- Sharing love and passion for music, arts, and culture.
- Increasing understanding of anti-racism and building a shared baseline and lexicon for discussing matters of race, equity, and belonging.
- Being accountable with staff by supporting policies, practices, and organizational initiatives.
Through this work, DJs serve our community by…
- Stewarding KDHX’s independent, non-commercial programming, free of corporate or individual interests.
- Championing a diverse presentation of independent music and artists.
- Advocating for access to music, arts, and culture through our radio programs and beyond.
- Using the Power of Music to grow connections between individuals and communities.
- Amplifying the efforts of St. Louis area nonprofits.
KDHX is looking for DJs who have some combination of 2 or more of the following:
- Radio/Media experience and understanding of how being a DJ can support the mission and values of KDHX.
- No radio experience, but interest in growth and educational opportunities and a willingness to bring knowledge from other community experiences and connections.
- Age; 18-40
- Dedication to building an environment where the many communities that KDHX serves feel accepted, valued, and included
- A willingness to share knowledge and also learn from others and their experience.
As a KDHX DJ your commitment will include:
- Familiarizing yourself with KDHX’s mission, purpose, and values so that your actions as a KDHX DJ are conducted through that lens.
- Actively participating in KDHX’s Equity and Belonging Work by attending workshops, joining in surveys, engaging in conversation, and committing to personal growth and understanding so that through your role at KDHX, you are effectively including the many communities that KDHX serves.
- Attending at least 1 volunteer meeting per year.
- Willingness to participate in staff-led volunteer working groups.
- Supporting the fundraising goals of KDHX by participating in fundraising through on-air drives and supporting the donor relations department in donor gratitude initiatives.
KDHX DJ approval process contains several steps and averages about four months to complete.
- Application submission and approval
- An interview with 2 members of the Volunteer Intake Team
- Submission of a Show Proposal and Playlist
- Orientation and production training
If you have read the DJ Expectations and are interested in applying to be a KDHX DJ, please email